Applications for the program starting in September 2018 can be submitted until November 15th, 2017. Applications will nonetheless be accepted until all positions are filled. A complete application must include the following documents:
- A fully filled-in online application form, including a list of all courses and credits/grades
- Curriculum vitae as PDF file in the upload area of the application form
- Three letters of recommendation uploaded by your referees, for more information follow the instructions in the online application form. The recommendation letter deadline is November 21th, 2017.
- Copies of all academic certificates/transcripts including High School Diploma, M.Sc., B.Sc., etc. as one PDF file in the uploaded area of the application form (originals must be presented, if you are invited for an interview)
- Copy of your M.Sc. thesis (with English abstract if the thesis is not written in English) or preliminary master thesis abstract as PDF file in the upload area
- Proof of English Language ability when applicable (e.g. transcript of TOEFL / IELTS scores or equivalent; our TOEFL Institution and Department Code is 8223). In case of the upload of your TOEFL official score report, please upload a scanned PDF file instead of the protected file provided from ETS to you.
We are offering about 25 PhD positions each year for research topics in various fields of astrophysics. See Available PhD Topics for more details.
Due date for application for the program
starting on September 1st, 2018 is November 15th, 2017
The online application portal becomes available about 3 month before the deadline. In case you are interested in submitting your application during the year, please contact us for further instructions.
The Max Planck Society has about 80 scientific institutes spread all over Germany focusing on numerous research fields ranging from physics, biology to medicine, from social sciences to humanities. All institutes are independent from each other with their own board of directors and administration. The short video “How to apply for a PhD position in the Max Planck Society” provides further information about PhD research opportunities.